Sunday, October 12, 2008

New River 50k

Seems lately that my posts have been few and far between, I agree. I've been heads down at work and with my training, and it seems that the desire to blog is last in line.

My second ultra is in the bag, done, and what an experience, much better showing than last time. The course was flat as a pancake, the weather was perfect and I was ready physically, no Achilles Tendinitis. I finished with a time of 6:16:39, I' m very happy with my time considering what happened on the coarse.

The weather was perfect for running as I said, we arrived at the coarse it was around 55 degrees, light fog and a slight breeze. With a group countdown, the rabbit was gone and about 100 people headed for Cliffview turnaround. Mike and I were shocked at how fast people were heading out the gate, we both were working to maintain our pace knowing that it was a long day.

The first 17 miles went excellent, Mike found his groove and headed out, and I found the pace that works for me, I wouldn't see him until the turnaround. I ran with several people of different speeds and locations, I rant with a lady from Pinehurst, NC who is a South African, great conversation about the state of Africa. I next hooked up with a guy name Skip from Tennessee, who was doing the Run/walk method. We both ran the same pace and settled in for about 10-12 miles.

At the turnaround, I felt great, slight ting in my IT band, ate some food and headed back out. Around mile 19 my IT band really started to hurt, I continued to do the run/walk (5/1) but it became harder to do 5 minutes of running. This is where the mind can't shut you down. I really focused on the problem, so I settled in for short run, long walk at a strong pace. I made it to the aid station at 21, refueled and settled back in to the short run, long walk but this time I would add some IT band stretches and massage. Around 24, another runner caught up with me, who I had been passing back and forth for about 6 miles, he asked how I was doing and said the magic words, "do you want some Ibuprofen", I could have cried, the gods were looking after me.

I made it to the 26 mile aid station and the meds were working, the pain started to go away, or at least I couldn't feel it as bad. Now the short run, long walk were now becoming longer run, less walk. I was feeling much better and started to pick up my pace and the distance that I could run. I reeled in 3 runners in the last 5.5 miles, by now I was feeling great mentally, I had overcome this problem, which I feel is a big part of ultra running.

As I came out of the woods, I could see the parking lot and the finish line, I was about a quarter mile from the finish, but when I came out in the open, and the people at the finish line saw me, you could hear the hooping and yelling, man that felt great. At this point I didn't want to jogg in I was going to sprint across that finish line. I saw my buddies Mike and Gunnar by the river and they started yelling and I was juiced. I crossed at 6:16:39.

I thought I had a sub 6 going for most of the day, but I learned alot of lessons throughout the day, which is why I am so pleased with my time.

I want to thank all my training buddies, I've enjoyed the whole training season, I couldn't have done it without you. Thanks to my family for giving me the time to train, love you.

Pictures will be out soon.

Mike

1 comment:

Gotta Run..... said...

Ultra's are nothing but one lesson after the next. No two races are the same and with each one I learn something completely new about myself.

You should be thrilled with a strong finish like that. You dug in when you needed to and pushed to the end. GREAT JOB!!!!

So has planning for your 50 miler in 2009 started :)