Saturday, January 24, 2009

Where you been?

No post since October, what's up with that? Time to catch up....I've been training all winter and I even added a marathon since New River 50k, I also enjoyed the food and drink of the holidays.

Running and Training.

After New River it was hard to put in big mileage weekends so I focused on the fun aspect of running, my wife and I had planned to do the Kiawah Marathon in December, I knew that I could handle the distance and I wasn't focused on time just going to have fun. Ann was going to do the half and I was planning on staying with her the whole time, then I would do the second loop for marathon.





My longest run was only 14 miles in preparing, but honestly I needed the time after New River to rest. I had a good race, throwing time out the door and focusing on the event itself makes for a great day. I really enjoyed the scenery, the people and just enjoyed running, miles 22 through 26 were hard, but I finished and my time wasn't off that much. The biggest part was that the days after I wasn't that sore, so my training is working.

I've also was able to run with my friends both in the neighborhood and on the trails, that's living!! The runs up at Paris Mt have been great, I can feel the effects of last years training, my confidence and my endurance on the trails is improving, I'm really looking forward to my Ultras in 2009.

Big shout out to Team Dirty Feet, thanks for friendship and fun!!

As of December of 08 I've added the concept of "Crossfit" to my workouts plus I'm back into doing "Bootcamp", I'm like a kid in the candy store. The concept incorporates weights, physical exercises like push ups and pull ups into a super set routine. I can already see results! I've added it to my workout schedule, which gives me some time off the road, which is making my running stronger.

Goals for 2009!

1. Run smarter not just increase the mileage. Quality miles.
2. I want to be able to do 15 Pull ups.
3. 75 push ups in 2 minutes.
4. Slow down and enjoy life.

Races for 2009

1. Uwharrie Mountain Run 20 miler
2. Buncombe 34 miler
3. Chattooga 50k
4. Dupont Waterfall Run
5. 50 Miler ( I haven't committed at this point)

I wanted to take a minute to say how proud I am of my friends accomplishments for 2009.

To the Florida Ironman Gang, Great job, you guys rock, while your race time where off the charts, the commitment to the training was inspirational.

Robin, 54 Horton miles, you know it has inspired me, great job, great planning, you showed what being an Ultra runner is all about, Hooya!

Michael, awesome job on the New River 50 K, you didn't just run your first Ultra, but you crushed it, truly awesome job with the race and the training.

Pastore, thanks for the advice, positive encouragement and friendship.

See you on the trail!

Mike

2 comments:

Gotta Run..... said...

You need to POST more often!!

Team Dirty Feet rocks. I love what we stands for.

You had an amazing year but I have good feelings that this next year is going to be off the charts for you.

We both will be "training smarter" and that will be a very good thing.

MMTR... you are there.

Cheri said...

Looks like Team Dirty Feet will be the smartest bunch o' runners around. DTF rocks!!!
Which 50 are you thinking about? I need to find one in late fall.
Cheri