Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Dude those some hairy legs!

Most of the time you have the name of your blog in mind before you sit down and bang the keyboard. Today I knew that I was gonna add some before and after pictures of my new shoes, it's a running joke in TDF (Team Dirty Feet). When I saw the pictures I laughed at the first one of my new shoes and the new name was born.

Ok hears the pitch, I bought some new Montrail Odyssey trail shoes last week, and I broke them in at Croft State Park on an 18 mile run...any Montrail people listening, need sponsorship :) another TDF inside joke.

TDF headed to Croft State Park for our weekly long run, while not to hilly, long steady climbs they had, mostly the course we ran was horse trail and single track. We saw wild turkeys, deer while running, don't see that in the neighborhoods. The course is marked as 6.5 mile loop, but after the first loop we had 5.35 on the Garmin.

So in TDF fashion we did three loops plus a detour and got 18. Again I'm struggling a bit with the mileage, not sure whats up, maybe its just the weekly mileage increase, I was fine until the third loop, started getting a little hotter and more humid plus my IT band started hurting like crazy, thats a new one. I pushed through finished my 18, the rest of TDF looked strong.

I'm not really gonna freak out on the way I felt, I think all this over analyzing will drive you crazy. My knee hurt, stretch more, it's pretty simple. This week is focused on relaxing, stretching and eating properly.

Gotta love this, TDF talked me into doing an ICE BATH, all I could think about was the Seinfeld episode with George "Shrinkage". So I stopped at the store and got two 10 pound bags of ice. Instructions were to fill bath with cold water, get in adjust, yeah right, then add first bag of ice. Next wait 5 minutes or until ice is melted then add second 10 pound bag of ice.

Observations! Damn thats cold! Don't move or very cold water hits other parts of body. Upside I think it did help. Next time we just stick to one 10 pound bag.

Ok here are the pictures of my new shoes

Before (Pretty new shoes)




After (Real trail shoes).. even the laces look tired :)



Enjoy the trails!!

Mike

1 comment:

Gotta Run..... said...

While I was enjoying my Ice Bath I read in the Runner's World that you could sit in the bath for up to 20 minutes.

Trust me.... the bath gets easier the more you do it.

Hope everything is still feeling good. Missed you and Mike at the TDF picnic but saw you on your 20 mile road run. You guys looked strong.

Your pics were great!!