Friday, June 13, 2008

Chattooga 50k Trail Run

11:57:20 that is the time of my first Ultra, while I am disappointed by my time, but I must say that I was just happy to NOT DNF. This was one of the hardest endeavors that I have attempted since I jumped back into running. The temperature all week leading up to race day had been above 90 degrees, race day was expected to be above 98 degrees.

My friend Mike went with me to provide support, we left Greenville, SC at 5am to be ready for a 8am start. The venue near the Chattooga River was absolutely beautiful and the temps were around 65 degrees, but that was just a tease. The scene was very cool, small group, kinda like a family reunion.

The course was to follow the river using the Chattooga Trail, then making a switch to the Foothills Trail, following that trail all the way to Occonee State Park. At that aid station you turn around and come back to the start. The first leg was a 10 mile stretch to the first aid station, so if you needed it you had to carry it.

Here's a pictures from Aid Station 1 after 10 miles.



After fueling up with food and drink it was 6 mile run to Occonee State Park, what I found was it was a nice 4 miles down hill then 3 up, instead of 6 it was really 5 miles. I arrived at aid station 2 feeling really good being that I just ran 15 miles. Mike was great he met me at aid station 1 and 2 then back at aid station 1.

Here is picture from Aid Station 2 after 15 miles.



After another buffet (thats what I call aid stations), it was the return to aid station 1, a five mile trip. This leg proved to be harder, the temps were rising, it was like a sauna in the woods with no wind and I was starting to tire. Another new problem, my feet were starting to blister on one foot. Feet don't fail me now!!

About 3 miles into this leg I found another racer with bad cramps, I took some time to get her up and moving (sorry I yelled at you) and to make her drink, she was not drinking her bottle. After about 20 minutes I had to keep moving. She was up and moving but I knew she was done for the day. About 10 minutes later I saw Terri the race director going to get her. This is why I love ultras!! The last two miles were tough, I can say that dropping out crossed my mind, but the desire to finish was stronger and I was determined to finish.

Here is my arrival at Aid station 1, after 20 plus miles. My face says it all. Plus I added another picture of me trying to fix my feet, they were really hurting, end result was I put my shoes back on laced up and never took them off again until the finish.

Arriving at Aid Station 1 and Foot Care.





I left Aid Station 1 in high spirits, tired and with sore feet. I left this section with another racer, Greg, we were going to make this last 10 mile section together. Thanks Greg! I can tell you at this point, I really wanted to run, but my feet were pretty hobbled at this point and I new that my 8 hour goal was shot. Now it was "Just Finish". We headed out a a good pace, walking the hills and running the downhills, here's the catch, it was a seven mile uphill. At mile 25 we got lost, I don't know what happened but the trail just ended. At this point we didn't know how far we were off, we should have gone back but we decided to go down to the river hike the river thinking we would find a campsite which we knew would have a spur back to the main trail. Wrong, big mistake!

We struggled down the river for a couple of hours, finally we saw another runner doing the same thing. We found a campsite, I saw a spur trail it was straight up, using all fours I went to what I thought was the top, No trail, by this time it's getting late, I'm out of water, my feet were mush. We were determined to find the trail. I took another look up this spur, this time I went higher seeing a place where others had gone, and I found the trail, let the screaming begin.

The three of us were very tired but a sense of finish was with us. We thought that the finish was about 3 miles, but the reality it was closer to 4.5. My feet were in sheer pain, I was very thirsty, the other guys shared their water and we headed out on a forced march back to finish.

We made it and actually jogged the last turn back to the finish, hearing the staff cheering helped. My thanks to Charlie and Greg for their support on this last 4 plus miles. Great to share the experience!

Here's the finish!





Would I do it again, you betcha, I was so much fun. My feet are still swollen and the pain in my legs is just about gone.

Thanks to Mike for your support that day, to Greg and Charlie. Also I want to thank Mike Pastore for all your tips, and encouragement.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great day indeed. It was a blast to join you on this experience. You've inspired me for the New River in Oct.!
Mike

Waterturtle said...

Nice going Mike! How are the feet?

Cheri said...

Awesome job on your first ultra!!

Cheri said...

It's a wonderous thing to be in so much pain, but still push on. Welcome to our world!! :-)